About Buckhurst Hill
Buckhurst Hill is a pleasant residential settlement in the southwest corner of Essex, adjacent to London with half of its land being taken up by Epping Forest and other open spaces.
Buckhurst Hill Parish Council is the first of three “tiers”- the other two being Epping Forest District Council and Essex County Council. The Parish Council is an autonomous body and each of the three tiers has its own duties and services it provides within its area of operation.
The earliest reference to Buckhurst Hill was in 1135 with a transfer of the Manor of Buckhurst Hill by William de Montfitchet to the Abbey of Stratford. In 1852 there is reference to a public house called The Title Deed where the former Parish Council Office was. Buckhurst Hill developed gradually but in 1856 the Eastern Counties Railway Company arrived with a line from Stratford to Loughton. This brought a huge change in housing and infrastructure. Buckhurst Hill Urban District Council came into being on 1 January 1895. It was incorporated into Chigwell in 1933. In 1996 Buckhurst Hill Parish Council came into being.
Buckhurst Hill, on the doorstep of the ancient Epping Forest, is a desirable location across the age spectrum for many reasons. It has excellent access to public transport via the Buckhurst Hill Underground Station on the Central Line, Chingford-Liverpool Street British Rail Line nearby, buses and motorways. There are many other facilities including those connected to health, education, religion and leisure to name a few. The Parish Council, situated in the main shopping area of Queens Road, has many challenging projects including two community halls, playgrounds, a ball park and the Roding Valley Recreation Ground. These projects are in addition to its activities regarding planning issues, links with schools, the voluntary and community sector, allotments, heritage plaques and many more.
Additional information about Buckhurst Hill and the Parish Council:
10,738 at the last census in 2001 with 2,459 residents under the age of 20.
Cllr Mr Neville Wright (Chairman)
Cllr Mr Bobby Nagpal (Vice Chairman)
Cllr Mr Sam Clark
Cllr Mrs Jane Forker-Clark
Cllr Mr Steven Neville
Cllr Mrs Smruti Patel
Cllr Miss Glenys Reynolds
Cllr Mrs Joanne Share-Bernia
Cllr Mr Ryan Sparrowhawk
Cllr Miss Sylvia Watson
Cllr Mr Ken Williamson
Parish Clerk - Mr Kevin O'Brien (full time)
Deputy Parish Clerk and Responsible Finance Officer - Miss Julie Taylor (full time)
Adminstration & Finance Assistant - Mrs Lynda Tettmar (full time)
Projects & Administration Assistant - Mrs Liane Davies (part time)
Recreation & Amenities Assistants: Mark, John (part time)
Precept for 2018/19 - £358,989 (Local Council Tax Support Grant from Epping Forest District Council - £4,631)
Full Council Meetings: - Thursday evenings, bi-monthly
Committees: (details to be confirmed)
Planning and Environment - meets Thursday evenings at 7.00pm, normally 2nd and 4th Thursdays in the month
Finance and Establishment, Recreation and Community - meet Thursday evenings at 8.00pm on approximately an alternating 3 monthly cycle
Personnel - meets a minimum of 3 times a year as required
Roding Valley Hall
Council offices - 165 Queens Road (shared with the Library)
Kings Place Playground
Hornbeam Road Playground (currently not in use)
Roding Valley Recreation Ground Playground and Ball Park
Allotments - 5 sites (managed by Buckhurst Hill Leisure Gardens)
Various green spaces
Christmas card competition
Christmas parcel delivery to older persons
Good transport access via the Central Line Underground (Buckhurst Hill and Roding Valley), British Rail
(Chingford Station), M25 and M11, buses.
Queens Road, Station Way, Loughton Way, High Road
Waitrose, chemist, dry cleaners, various clothing shops, hair and beauty, variety stores,
two post offices, carpet shop, shoe shops, gift shops, perfumery, betting
shop, exercise studios, bakers, fish & chip shop, Chinese takeaway, various restaurants,
newsagents, paper/card shop, florist, Costa Coffee
As well as Solicitors, Accountants, Estate Agents
Primary: Buckhurst Hill Community Primary School, St Johns Church of England Primary School,
Braeside, Daiglen and Loyola private schools.
Secondary: nearest is West Hatch in Chigwell, Braeside (private).
Clubs and Associations:
Various including -
BH Antiques Club
BH Bowling and Lawn Tennis Club
BH Community Association (Bedford House)
BH Historical Society
BH Horticultural Society
BH Leisure Gardens CIC
BH Residents' Society
BH Village Forum (formerly Town Centre Partnership)
Epping Forest and District Stamp Club
Leigh Language School
Roding Players Orchestra
Roding Rifle and Pistol Club (Woollard Centre)
Royal British Legion
The National Trust - Woodford Green Centre
West Essex Ramblers
Woodford Symphony Orchestra
Further information in the Parish Magazine and at Buckhurst Hill Library
Baptist Church, Evangelical Church, St Stephens Church, St John’s CofE
Church, St James United Reformed Church.
HollyHouse PrivateHospital, GP surgeries, dentists, Buckhurst Way
Clinic, and various other allied facilities.